Sunday, 18 December 2011

Victorian reading challenge

My final challenge commitment will be the Victorian reading challenge hosted by Laura at Laura's Reviews.  This challenge includes books set in the Victorian age as well as Victorian authors, and non fiction works on the Victorian age and even movies.  Laura is planning on featuring a particular author each month, so I will try and read or watch something relating to each featured author for that month but I may not quite stick to that.  I do commit to reading at least 12 Victorian related texts for the challenge, a couple will be double ups with other challenges, a couple will be short stories and some like Wuthering Heights and the Picture of Dorian Gray will be re-reads but that is all okay.  I still have to decide on a couple of my texts but I will fill those in later, for now here is my current list and hopefully I will read many more beside just twelve. Here is the link for the challenge details and sign up: http://lauragerold.blogspot.com/2011/12/victorian-challenge-2012-sign-up.html

1.Jamrach's Menagerie (Victorian setting)
2.Burton and Swinburne in Expedition to the mountains of the moon (steampunk Victorian)
3.Twenty Thousand leagues under the sea Jules Verne
4.The picture of Dorian Gray by Wilde
5.The Canterville ghost. by Wilde (short story)
6.The signal-man by C. Dickens (short story)
7.Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Robert Louis Stevenson
8.Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
9.Something by Arthur Conan Doyle
10.
11.
12.

I think I am all challenged out now, for updates on my reading list see the challenges page.

2 comments:

  1. All of your reading challenges look fun, this one probably being my favorite. Maybe you'd be interested in reading a couple of books from Anne Perry's series about William Monk; they are set in the Victorian Period and are extremely accurate and well-written. Here is a link in case you're interested: http://www.goodreads.com/series/40936-william-monk

    Also, do you mind if I mention the reading challenges you're participating in on my blog and send them here for your links to the right?

    ~Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link I will check those out.

    ReplyDelete